TGIF[R-S]: Unleashed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TGIF[R-S]: Unleashed

TGIF[R-S]: Unleashed

Welcome to the latest installment of TGIF[R-S], our series where Features Editor Sami Haj-Assaad details his purchasing and ownership experience of the new Scion FR-S. If this is your first time seeing the series be sure to check out the first articles, where Sami talks about his decision to buy the FR-S, and takes delivery of his new car. Last week Sami discussed what one week of the FR-S is like.

For two and a half weeks my FR-S teased me, saying “not yet” every time I wanted to wring it out. See, Scion (or Subaru, I’m not sure who decided it) outlined a strict 1000 mile (1600 km) break-in period. For that entire time the car was limited to 4000 rpm and I couldn’t run the car for a long period of time at the same engine speed and road speed.

In regards to the rpm limitation, for performance reasons the FR-S has a shift light that’s very easy to set. In this case, however, I used it to keep my thrills in check, setting it to go off at 4000 rpm with an audible beep – although after I heard it twice I decided it was too annoying and had to be turned off. Then, to defeat the steady engine and road speed rule, I had to take a few extra side-roads home and to work.

BYE BYE BREAK-IN PERIOD

I couldn’t wait for the break-in period to be over. As luck would have it, I hit the threshold at a metered on-ramp, so I did what anyone in my situation would do…
    Catch the latest read of TGIF[R-S] and the Scion FR-S ownership experience at AutoGuide.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

oh man, you still haven't carried it through a drift?! I'm sure you know what you're doing, but my first time was even still in the break in period. Very easy, and the car just handles so well coming out, almost no effort involved. Although it is funner when you take it to the red line squealing the tires all the way through.

Kills me to know that "break in" is over by mileage and than the pedal hits the floor.. At break in end i Changed my fluids... Makes me feel better

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

you prolly did the right thing MDT. Im at 3077 miles and feel a noticeable power loss from a lack of clean oil.

Quote Originally Posted by MDT View Post
    Kills me to know that "break in" is over by mileage and than the pedal hits the floor.. At break in end i Changed my fluids... Makes me feel better
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
    you prolly did the right thing MDT. Im at 3077 miles and feel a noticeable power loss from a lack of clean oil.
    Yup, I bet he did do the right thing. It never hurts to flush and add new fluid, plus it doesn't cost that much anyway. I'm pretty sure there's a decent amount of metal shavings that will come out with that first oil change.

Yet again a great article. Thanks.

I'm sure you know what you're doing, but my first time was even still in the break in period odds.am.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)