Choosing new tires

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Choosing new tires

Choosing new tires

So it seems my stock tires are coming to end of life later this year, so I'm starting to look at new tires in order to get my budget in check.
    Now, I love my FRS, but I do not intend on doing any mods to it or investing on any extras. It's my daily driver and besides doing the proper maintenance I really don't see the point of investing on any extra bells and whistles (as fun as they may be).
    So, with that in mind, and considering I live in FL (no snow, but a good share of rain), which stock size tires would you recommend??? In the past I've always bought Michelin for previous cars, but I'm open to suggestions. Again, I don't have a budget for new wheels, so I'm only looking at the stock size.

Any help will be much appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

What are your greatest driving concerns, ie., good mileage, weather handling, etc.? With a little more info there I could offer a more accurate suggestion.

I'd say safety (weather handling) first, and good mileage second. My commute is going to change from 15 miles roundtrip to about 100+ roundtrip next month, so it'd be nice to have something that will last me a while. I've been dreading having to get new tires, but at least the stock set has worked out well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Then if it was me I'd go with either the Yokohama YK580 or Bridgestone Ecopia E422. Both have excellent tread life and both also perform very well as all-season tires.

I don't know how you go about purchasing tires, but I'd recommend buying your tires either from Discount Tire Direct or from Tire Rack, have them shipped to you, and then have a local shop install them. By going that route you can typically save a couple hundred dollars over buying tires from a local tire shop.

Thanks! I haven't had to buy tires in years (bought the FRS right before I had to get new tires for the previous car), so I wasn't sure the best way to go about it these days. I used to get them at Sam's club and they would then cover rotation and balancing through the life of the tires, so that's another option.

Quote Originally Posted by lita_g View Post
    Thanks! I haven't had to buy tires in years (bought the FRS right before I had to get new tires for the previous car), so I wasn't sure the best way to go about it these days. I used to get them at Sam's club and they would then cover rotation and balancing through the life of the tires, so that's another option.
    As long as the price is right and you trust their work then go with that. Let us know what you end up buying...be interested to know about the purchase and what your impressions are of the tires you buy after you have an opportunity to drive on them a while.

My wife has had good success with BFG Comp2's. It is her daily driver. She really likes them. She lets me drive her car, on occasion. I like how they feel: connected, lots of grip, recovers from sliding well, communicates what the tire is doing, etc. We put these on at 5k miles she is about 47k miles, the tread depth is 4-5/32 left. They have grip below 40degF, just not as much. I install snow tires for her once the snow starts to fall.
    She has tracked the car 5 days (same tires). On the track they display the same characteristics. In the wet they are really good also. They actually make a distinct noise when they start to slide. It actually confirms what your seat is telling you. It is progressive and is easy control.

These are not track tires. They will not hold up to the heat and abuse of a seasoned driver. I run Comp2 on my Elise in the rear for street and rain track days, I have BFG G-Force Supersports A/S on the front. The fronts are the limiting factor and I will not buy them again. They are not progressive and do not recover well. I ran BFG Rivals for typical track duty.

Remind me, what tires did your car come with? How long did they last? I am a Scion tC owner and lover, and I switched those horrible Yokohamas off of it as soon as they were worn a bit. On the advice of another tC board, I have since purchased and enjoyed two sets of Toyo Proxy's. They handle well in rain and make the tC ride a lot better. I wouldn't say they get the very best mileage, though, but it's decent. I am a daily city driver. It's interesting to me that now the new tC's come with them stock.

I am an FRS wannabee. I plan to make it happen!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)