Coilovers to get?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coilovers to get?

Coilovers to get?

Hey guys, Im new and just wanted to know what coils are good for the FRS. I am really thinking about getting BC's because of the price and quality but at the same time I was thinking about getting the Megan Racing coils. Which are better for daily use? And I am pretty sure I will not track my car. Any suggestions would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Between the Megans and the BC's I would get the BCs.

I would also consider the ISC N1s over the BC Racing coilovers.

All of these are around the $1000 mark with the ISC N1 being the cheapest if you look for a group buy.

I would go HSD
    Far better choice from BC or MEGAN!

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Not sure why you think HSD is better. They are all the same ****. I'd go for the one with the best warranty in your country.

I can't find anything on HSDs offering custom spring rates. There is no information on what the dampening control is for.

All three of them are monotube, height adjustable, and controls dampening.

HSD are a progressive spring rate and yes there is a BIG difference in material and Wall thickness used between BC and others out there.
    There are lots of pics posted on the web where you can see the difference of coilovers which were sliced in half and can see the difference in Material..

HSD is made in KOREA and have the least amount of complaints compaired to other kits in its class....

HAve you ever owned HSD? 5 Years in a row champs in Korea with wins...They offer the smoothest ride quality from other kits in its class as i mentioned..
    I have always had these and not one complain..Had BC megan all other brands and doesnt compare!

Also with the FR-S its 9KG front and 7Kg Rear for info!

I just found these guys and was told they have kits coming in Mid MArch for HSD coilovers and i know where my wallet will be

http://uniqperformance.ca/products-p...hsd-coilovers/
    Last edited by frs2nv; 02-25-2013 at 09:44 AM.

I'd like to see these reports of the HSD vs BC Racing. I'd be very interested to actually seee the internals of these cheap coilovers.

Apart from build quality (which I have yet to see) in terms of specifications the BC Racing and ISC actually might have advantages over the HSD. You can choose your own spring rate on the BC and ISC and for the ISC N1s they are apparently rebound only adjustable which is a pretty big advantage in terms of performance tuning the balance of your car on the track. BC Racing and HSD from what I read are rebound/compression adjustable using the same knob.

9k and 7k is not stellar at all for a performance setup on the FR-S. It's good for comfort though. I'd actually kind of be worried that they are made in Korea. How is north american support for the HSD coilovers? I know with the BC Racing and ISC they pretty much replace a single coil if you have a problem. And its pretty quick.

To be honest for the price I think you should spend a bit more and get the Fortune 510s if you really care. Or just ball out and get the KW V3s.

Last edited by import_nation; 02-26-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by import_nation View Post
    I'd like to see these reports of the HSD vs BC Racing. I'd be very interested to actually seee the internals of these cheap coilovers.

Apart from build quality (which I have yet to see) in terms of specifications the BC Racing and ISC actually might have advantages over the HSD. You can choose your own spring rate on the BC and ISC and for the ISC N1s they are apparently rebound only adjustable which is a pretty big advantage in terms of performance tuning the balance of your car on the track. BC Racing and HSD from what I read are rebound/compression adjustable using the same knob.

9k and 7k is not stellar at all for a performance setup on the FR-S. It's good for comfort though. I'd actually kind of be worried that they are made in Korea. How is north american support for the HSD coilovers? I know with the BC Racing and ISC they pretty much replace a single coil if you have a problem. And its pretty quick.

To be honest for the price I think you should spend a bit more and get the Fortune 510s if you really care. Or just ball out and get the KW V3s.
    Being made in Korea would worry you??? Kidding Right??
    HSD is HUGE in North America and of all coilover companys out there have the least amount of warranty claims..Everybody raves how smooth these kits are and are defently MADE for the track as well and not just for street....

Do google searches on HSD and BC for MOST problems and then let me know

To be honest there is very little information on HSD.

Everyone knows what BC Racing is. I never said BC Racing was better. To me they are both the same until I am proven wrong.

The only ones that stand out above both these companies is ISC N1 and Fortune Auto. Both of these manufacturers are rebound adjustable only and can be rebuilt in the USA. They both offer custom spring rates. Fortune Auto goes as far as to offer swift springs as an upgrade.

For the price I still think Fortune Auto might be your best bet. Being made in Korea doesnt mean anything no. There are coilovers that are made in Japan that are bad quality. There are coilovers that are made in the USA that are bad quality. Where it is made is not a direct indication of the quality. Have you ever even been to Korea? Do you think Korea pumps out high quality products?

What makes the HSDs MADE for the track?

The soft spring rates? Or the fact that you have no control over either compression or rebound - only at the same time (which is terrible for performance) or is it because HSD offers no explanation of how their shocks perform? No shock dyno charts from HSD.

You do realize Fortune Auto 510 series coilovers provide a shock dyno chart for each of the 4 shocks that you buy.

I'm not hating on HSD or BC Racing or anyone but you have to get your facts right.

HSD is not the best. They are a great value just like BC Racing, Megan, KSport, D2.

In terms of build quality it is really hard to say for sure. I would say none of these guys are really that great. Unless the coilovers are milled and made completely in america using high quality steel there is no 100% way of knowing the quality of the actual metal in the coilovers.

We also don't know what oil HSD uses for their shocks. We don't know what brand of components are used in the HSDs internals. We don't know what springs are used, what bushings are used.

If you can prove my wrong I would be very happy because I research coilovers for fun.

Just tossing out my two cents, but I like the Tein shocks and so on, but they're pretty expensive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quote Originally Posted by import_nation View Post
    To be honest there is very little information on HSD.

Everyone knows what BC Racing is. I never said BC Racing was better. To me they are both the same until I am proven wrong.

The only ones that stand out above both these companies is ISC N1 and Fortune Auto. Both of these manufacturers are rebound adjustable only and can be rebuilt in the USA. They both offer custom spring rates. Fortune Auto goes as far as to offer swift springs as an upgrade.

For the price I still think Fortune Auto might be your best bet. Being made in Korea doesnt mean anything no. There are coilovers that are made in Japan that are bad quality. There are coilovers that are made in the USA that are bad quality. Where it is made is not a direct indication of the quality. Have you ever even been to Korea? Do you think Korea pumps out high quality products?

What makes the HSDs MADE for the track?

The soft spring rates? Or the fact that you have no control over either compression or rebound - only at the same time (which is terrible for performance) or is it because HSD offers no explanation of how their shocks perform? No shock dyno charts from HSD.

You do realize Fortune Auto 510 series coilovers provide a shock dyno chart for each of the 4 shocks that you buy.

I'm not hating on HSD or BC Racing or anyone but you have to get your facts right.

HSD is not the best. They are a great value just like BC Racing, Megan, KSport, D2.

In terms of build quality it is really hard to say for sure. I would say none of these guys are really that great. Unless the coilovers are milled and made completely in america using high quality steel there is no 100% way of knowing the quality of the actual metal in the coilovers.

We also don't know what oil HSD uses for their shocks. We don't know what brand of components are used in the HSDs internals. We don't know what springs are used, what bushings are used.

If you can prove my wrong I would be very happy because I research coilovers for fun.
    I never Said HSD is the BEST out there...In its Class it is with all the feedback i have seen and own them myself in my 240sx and and Friends of Mine with Genesis COupe and G37...Very rare yowu ill find negative reviews on tehse kits compared to other companys out their...

HSDs seem to have a big presence in Canada. Are they originally from Canada or is the marketing coordinator for HSD Canada just doing a good job? It seems like Pat Cyr (Canada) uses them on hes AE86 drift car.

Just a FYI the HSD coilovers for the FR-S and BRZ application are already out. Just contact a dealer and he will be able to source some for you.

Last edited by import_nation; 02-28-2013 at 02:29 PM.

I saw that article of Pat Cyr uses them as well on his Drift and some good reviews?

HSD in Canada is Huge as well as in Korea from the Reserach i did on them...

Anyone running HSD?\

Found these guys in Canada

http://uniqperformance.ca/products-p...hsd-coilovers/
    Last edited by frs2nv; 07-09-2013 at 10:39 PM.

I was looking at the KW's on the other thread. What do you guys think about them?

Supporting Vendor Diode Dynamics's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnlimitedRPM View Post
    I was looking at the KW's on the other thread. What do you guys think about them?
    They are very expensive, and exceptionally high quality. But there are plenty of other companies out there worth researching first!

Nick C.
    Diode Dynamics
    FR-S Lighting / Toyota 86 Lighting

Your Experts For Toyota 86 & Scion FR-S Lighting Upgrades!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)