Non-warranty hosing brake upgrades?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Non-warranty hosing brake upgrades?

Cool Non-warranty hosing brake upgrades?

Hey guys, are there any upgrades I can make to the braking system of my FR-S that won't impact other aspects of my warranty? I plan to track this car and as we've seen the brakes are a bit of a soft spot in an otherwise near perfect car that I would like to address. Not necessarily looking for more braking force (all you need is enough to lock the tires) but something that will hold up under racing conditions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Racing brake pads. Hawk - CarboTech - EBC just to name a few.

Racing Brake Fluid - RBF600 - Super Blue

Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Good but I would replace them every year - if not stick with oem.

Plus one on the above. Change the fluid and bleed the lines like you are performing surgery-no bubblies! I would not worry about the stainless lines. The mental image is pretty convincing: the flimsy rubber lines balloon out while your foot sinks on the pedal, waiting for the hydraulic pressure to sloooowly build up to press the cylinders in the calipers, while the stainless are like copper tubes holding the pressure up, ready to pounce at your very thought of braking. However, those new lines are very much like stainless, holding pressure just as steady. One thing to check though, --and I do not own an FR-S (yet), so I may be talking out my butt--is the free play in the brake pedal. That is, the amount the pedal is moved before the lever starts compressing the piston in the master cylinder is what I'm calling free play. That used to be adjustable. If it still is, figure out how to adjust it and set it to very tight so that the calipers start squeezing on the pads the instant your sole contacts the pad on the pedal. This adjustment will increase your braking control.

That should set you up on brakes without un-necessary expenses.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

^ it's not always a good idea to adjust the brake adjustment. If you adjust it too much you could be causing premature wear to the pads and rotors. I find the stock FR-S engagement is good enough for daily and moderate enough for track. If it's too sensitive it'll be hard to heel and toe.

Quote Originally Posted by import_nation View Post
    ^ it's not always a good idea to adjust the brake adjustment. If you adjust it too much you could be causing premature wear to the pads and rotors. I find the stock FR-S engagement is good enough for daily and moderate enough for track. If it's too sensitive it'll be hard to heel and toe.
    On point. Only reason I can see someone adjusting the brakes like that is if the FR-S is strictly a track car.

Yeah I'm just looking for something to cope with the heat build up over multiple laps better than the stock brakes. My dealer says there's a TRD kit coming down the line but you know how dealers are.

I'm not worried about the free play in the pedal, I'm just worried about how well the stock brakes have not held up in track testing and would like to address that shortcoming without hosing my 6 year platinum warranty.
    Last edited by Circs; 10-26-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circs View Post
    Yeah I'm just looking for something to cope with the heat build up over multiple laps better than the stock brakes. My dealer says there's a TRD kit coming down the line but you know how dealers are.

I'm not worried about the free play in the pedal, I'm just worried about how well the stock brakes have not held up in track testing and would like to address that shortcoming without hosing my 6 year platinum warranty.
    drilled and slotted rotors would help greatly

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)