FR-S Brake Upgrade Options from StopTech

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FR-S Brake Upgrade Options from StopTech

FR-S Brake Upgrade Options from StopTech

Not sure how many of you are aware of this, but StopTech has two great brake upgrade options for the FR-S. One is the inexpensive "Sport Kit" and the other is the powerful "Big Brake Kit". Here's some info and pics on both of them. If you have any technical questions about anything here, just let me know!

---StopTech Sport Brake Kits---

StopTech Sport Brake Kits offer an inexpensive alternative to a true Big Brake Kit. For about $550, you can cover all four wheels with new pads, rotors, and brake lines. Plus, the rotors are available in drilled and slotted/drilled if you want a more aggressive look.

The kits represent a pretty good savings over buying the parts individually as well. Everything works with all your factory equipment, and there is no need to purchase bigger wheels if you don't want to (this is because you retain your factory calipers). The kits are available as front or rear versions as well, if for some reason you don't want to upgrade all four wheels.

Link for more details: Scion FR-S StopTech Sport Brake Kits

---StopTech Big Brake Kits---

StopTech big brake kits for the Scion FR-S are all about extreme looks and stopping power. The front kits start at about $1995 (MSRP) and have two different rotor sizes available: 328x28mm and 355x32mm. The rear kit is priced at $2495 (MSRP) and is only available in a 345x28mm rotor size, but this is huge for a rear application on a car of this weight. Talk about stopping power!!! You'll probably have to upgrade your tires to take full advantage of these kits. I can only imagine the eye-popping g-forces that these big brake kits will provide.

Link for more details: Scion FR-S StopTech Big Brake Kits. Keep in mind these kits are expensive, but we do sell for a good discount under the MSRP prices.

Hope people find this info useful!

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Larger breaks don't necessarily give more stopping power, only better heat dissapation, which is only needed on a dedicated track car. I've ready many articles of people buying the FR-S/BRZ and taking it to the track and not experiencing any brake fade even after a full track day. Upgrading the brakes would be purely for cosmetic reasons on a car like this, or if adding 100+hp later on.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
    Larger breaks don't necessarily give more stopping power, only better heat dissapation, which is only needed on a dedicated track car. I've ready many articles of people buying the FR-S/BRZ and taking it to the track and not experiencing any brake fade even after a full track day. Upgrading the brakes would be purely for cosmetic reasons on a car like this, or if adding 100+hp later on.
    Larger rotors and calipers means a larger contact surface area between the brake pad and rotor. This will always increase braking performance assuming you use the same (or better) friction material for the brake pads and the brake pressure is the same (or higher) than from the factory. This is the concept behind a big brake kit. Of course, it also looks good too.

With the Sport Kits, better braking performance is still realized through the enhanced friction material on the aftermarket brake pads (compared to the OEM ones).

So with the big brake kit they wont clear the factory wheels? i know this kit wont clear the speed3 factory wheels...

Quote Originally Posted by PRO Import Tuners View Post
    With the Sport Kits, better braking performance is still realized through the enhanced friction material on the aftermarket brake pads (compared to the OEM ones).
    which is why i think people should be upgrading their brake pads first instead of going to a BBK right away. only reason i would go BBK is if i had extra power that required it.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
    So with the big brake kit they wont clear the factory wheels? i know this kit wont clear the speed3 factory wheels...
    Hello there captain !

I don't personally know how much clearance the factory wheels will provide but Stoptech is nice enough to provide a template of the BBK for just such a measurement.

http://www.stoptech.com/docs/wheel-f...2430-01_FP.pdf

(Basically you print out the template and hold it up to your wheel to see if there is enough room). This should be able to help you figure out the amount of clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by scion-guy View Post
    which is why i think people should be upgrading their brake pads first instead of going to a BBK right away. only reason i would go BBK is if i had extra power that required it.
    Some people will need the BBK no doubt. But the Sport kit is a great inexpensive alternative for the rest of the community. The Stoptech rotors and Para-aramid compound used for the pads, provide significant increases in brake performance vs OEM. Plus you get the stainless steel brake lines which make your beak pedal feel super dooper ! (technical term )

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)