What winter tires to get?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What winter tires to get?

What winter tires to get?

Winter is coming up in a couple of months and I've just saw that most tire prices are going up in the next month so I'm hoping to purchase my winter tires pretty early before the rush. I was wondering what you guys run for winter tires or do you have any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

i used a few different kinds of winter tires and out of all of them i had the best deep snow and ice traction on bridgestone blizzaks. theyre not that expensive and are worth it for that peace of mind you will get.

I picked up a set of Michelin X-ICE II tires last winter for $200 used and they worked very well I had no complaints about them.

Hankook iPikes are good bang for the buck, but they won't as long as any Goodyear or Michelin winter tires.
    Word of advice, don't drive with winters in the summer

Scion FR-S winter driving would be cool to see/do. RWD winter funn!

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

my Bridgestone G019 Grids have been getting me by fine for years but thats on my FWD

our winters are never really bad in the greater Toronto area, so with the FR-S,
    i'll look into the new category 'all weather' tire for the winter set!
    Hankook Opimo 4S may be the best bang for the buck at this time of posting~

I thought winter in Toronto was one of the worse?

I've read that the Goodyear UG500 the Vredestien Icetrac and the Hakkapelita 4, are all excellent winter tires though.

My FR-S is going to be a Lease and it comes with factory all-weather tires. Since it's a lease, I don't think I'll be able to replace them for the winter. All the things people have told me about RWD and winter has made me a bit nervous. Does anyone know how well these tires are expected to hold up on wet roads/in the snow?

I did a lot of research on this last year. I looked at reviews from TireRack, Consumer Reports, A Canadian Car Association and various magazine articles. So this is not the usual anecdotal opinion. The two best tires according to the reviews and tests seem to be the Michelin X-Ice for heavy snow conditions, and the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 for rain and light snow conditions. The X-Ice are true snow/ice tires, while the Alpin's are performance tires with good winter traction, but not suitable for the heavy stuff. Both are available in 215/45/17. Other good tires are the Conti Extreme Winter Contact and General Altimax (similar to the Conti). Blizzaks are good, but don't rate quite as highly.
    Last edited by Parabolic; 05-16-2012 at 03:53 PM.

I think this is another personal preference debate. I've heard of different people claiming different brand and tires to be the best winter tire. Just buy a good one and you will be safe.

Banned
    I just blizzaks i purchased a set for my winter beater, and they were amazing from the X ice i had before which were terrible ! i was hydroplaning and sliding everywhere!

Hi all. I work for Hankook Tire and just wanted to toss you guys a tip. If you're planning to do a summer/winter combo now is an AMAZING time to buy winter tires. Due to the very mild winter tire dealers have large inventories of winter tires left in stock. If you go to a local independant you can most likely negotiate a great deal.

The best Hankook's to get are the Winter i*cept evo (W310) for winter and Ventus V12 evo (K110) for Summer.

^ thanks for the advice steve. you get your hands on a frs yet?

I would recommend a set of studded tires.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionFR-S View Post
    I would recommend a set of studded tires.
    I heard some places have laws against that stuff.

I find that good winter tires and knowing how to drive in winter is all you need! Bridgestone Blizzacks are probably the best affordable winter tires out their.

2 NEW 225 45 R 17 CONTI TS790 WINTER CONTACT 91H SNOWS LISTING IS FOR 2 TIRES | eBay

Killer deal if someone is needing winter tires. I paid for them monday and they were on my porch tuesday. Tire look perfectly brand new. $412 shipped....

I have had 2 Infiniti G35 coupes, both RWD and firmly believe in running snow tires in winter, but I see NO need at all for Studded tires. Yes you might gain on Ice, but you lose on everything else. Not to mention the marks those little studs leave on paint when they come lose, and yes they will come loose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)