New Rims

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Rims

New Rims

I am looking for a new set of rims for my 2013 Scion FR-S. I checked out 4wheelonline and Tire Rack but their wide selection left me confused. Any recommendations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

I was expecting a feedback. Anyways, I'd like to let you guys know that I bought a set of Cooper Tires Zeon RS3-G1 for my Scion FR-S.

Are you still looking for wheels/rims? If so, I suggest staying with 17 in. diameter. If you go bigger you'll raise the height and center of gravity of the car which is not good for handling unless you also do some suspension mods. At this point, however, you're choice in wheel size will be determined by the size tires you purchased.

If you're strictly looking for a change in the look then you could stay with the stock wheel size (17X7). I was looking for a change in look/style as well as getting more rubber on the road. I've got a supercharger, custom exhaust, and custom dyno-tune, so my 2014 has a lot more power than a stock version of the car. I really needed a performance upgrade in wheels and tires. I currently have Enkei Tuning 17x8 in the front and 17x9 in the back. 245/40 17 front and 255/40 17 rear. The wider rims allow for wider tires and more rubber on the road. The lower profile (40 instead of the stock 45) keeps the tires fairly close to the original total height which minimizes change in the speedometer, and of course the height of the vehicle. The tires are all Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

With this setup I've got a lot more traction and can get a much better launch of the vehicle. Previously, I could not drive the care full throttle in 1st gear, it would just break the back tires loose.

I purchased my latest wheels from Oakos. Their customer rep was Nolan, and seemed very knowledgeable and was very helpful as far as fitment.

As far as wheel style that's subjective on your part and may also depend on the color of your vehicle. Look around at images of the FR-S on-line to get some ideas...

Hope this helps. Good luck, and enjoy the drive

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)