Radio Replacement how to

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radio Replacement how to

Radio Replacement how to

Ok so I had time to go back and get a how to sequence for radio replacement.

Start by wiring up your harness of the new radio to the metra wire harness 70-1761
    You can by all means use crimp caps,butt connectors but please do not use wire nuts for home wiring. I just used solder and heatshrink as I had access to it.

Be sure to wire the antenna adapters turn on wire in as well. For those wondering the black and yellow twisted wires are for my satellite adaptor that needs power and ground.

Start by using a non marring panel tool(or rag under a metal one) and gently pry outward on the lower right hand corner, i went right above the console connection point(silver portion)

Then go to the left hand lower side and do the same.

Then top hand right side, once this is off you can pull the left pretty easily.

Then take a 10mm socket and an exstention and remove the 4 bolts securing radio. I reccomend not using a drill as the nut clips and radio mounts are kinda flimsy to be honest. Mine was already bent on one corner by the dealership when they replaced my bad radio.

This is the back side with all the connectors the antenna,aux usb,power/speaker and satillite radio antenna from left to right. You also notice that there are preouts there as well. those are for subs if you want to add them. you need to turn them on though that is covered in manual.

You need to remove the brackets from the side of the radio to use them on the new unit.

This is the metra double din kit 95-8202, you can see I had to trim the sides a bit,modification is neccessary to go around the factory brackets.

This is the metra 88-00-9000 universal pocket all put together with small front trim ring.

Start by using screws supplied with radio and pocket to attach the factory bracket to radio and pocket, but you need to lay bracket on parts and then lay dash kit over bracket and then screw together.repeat for both sides.
    PLug in harnesses and reassemble. You can use the Best Kits single din kit but this way you have the single din and double din kit if you change radios later. ANd the radio is secured by metal brackets versus plastic. Hope this helps
    Last edited by captain_jack; 08-25-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Forgot picture

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

awesome tutorial thanks, but isnt that radio too small to power the speakers? unless you added an amp already as well?

no its just fine. the rms power is 17 (50 max) and the factory pioneer is about the same. but i will say that returned the factory as i didnt like loosing the aux inputs and bluetooth, nor did the alpine sound as good in my opinion.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Ah thanks for the feedback, just curious if you have seen anyone else install an aftermarket headunit or any amp setups, thanks again

no,but there is a easy place on firewall to run power wire in from. there is a nipple on the harness on drivers side of engine bay and if youcut the end off it can accomodate at least an 8 gauge power wire. id imagine there is one on the passenger under battery but i didnt look. i will eventually add an amp just in no hurry.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)