Concerns about buying an FR-S

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Concerns about buying an FR-S

Concerns about buying an FR-S

New to the forum, but a big fan of the car. I recently found a used 2013 FR-S with less than 5k miles on it. When I asked the dealership (not a Scion dealer) what they could tell me, they said the ECU and motor were replaced by Scion. The dealership got the car because it was a buyback from Scion. What concerns me is I keep seeing articles about ECU problems, however the articles are over a year old. I went to a Scion dealership, and asked them about the ECU problems. The dealership was unaware of any problems and said that there customers had never experienced an ECU malfunction. My question is if the ECU and engine were replaced, should I be worried about having a problem with the ECU again? Or has Scion fixed the ECU issue completely.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

There are many, many cars out there that I would not hesitate to buy used. However, the FR-S/BRZ twins are two I wouldn't take a chance on. There are too many Fan Boyz that have bought these cars and seem to dedicate themselves to flogging these cars as much as they can.

There were problems with reflashing the ECU last year. The newer cars do not have this problem. Drive the car, listen, see how it feels. DO NOT listen to the opinions of others. I've had mine for over a year with no problems other than the taillight moisture...no mechanical problems at all.
    In memory of my father...Semper Fi

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

A little follow up to my first comment. So they replaced the ECU. Why did they replace the motor? Again, I wouldn't buy a used FR-S or if I did I would buy it from the owner that gave me an opportunity to 'size up' the situation and perhaps get a handle on how the car was treated/mis-treated. I would probably be a good example. I'm 79 years old and aside from that, my car, my other car in the garage and my home would all give you a good idea of how well I take care of my possessions. Buying a used car from a dealership you are totally blind.

I would not buy a car which was recalled by scion/toyota, repaired then being sold on a lot other than a scion/toyota/subaru lot. The reason I have for this is that the dealer could just be telling you a story that they were told when getting the car. The story may be true or may not be true, this is where you have good reason to not want to go into it blind.
    Since 2014 versions will be filling the showrooms soon, I would look at a 2013 while they are still around and see what kind of deals pop up on remaining inventory

Supporting Vendor Diode Dynamics's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nickshute View Post
    I would not buy a car which was recalled by scion/toyota, repaired then being sold on a lot other than a scion/toyota/subaru lot. The reason I have for this is that the dealer could just be telling you a story that they were told when getting the car. The story may be true or may not be true, this is where you have good reason to not want to go into it blind.
    Since 2014 versions will be filling the showrooms soon, I would look at a 2013 while they are still around and see what kind of deals pop up on remaining inventory
    +1 on waiting for the 2014 versions to come out. Plus if Toyota does actually decide to put a 2.5L engine in the FR-S, I'm sure prices on the 2013 would drop enough to make it worth your while.

Definitely not a good sign if the car has 5k miles and the engine has been replaced, that's a red flag IMO lol

Nick C.
    Diode Dynamics
    FR-S Lighting / Toyota 86 Lighting

Your Experts For Toyota 86 & Scion FR-S Lighting Upgrades!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)