Scion FR-S: Paddle Shift vs Manual

View Poll Results: Paddle Shift vs Manual, what would you choose?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paddle Shift

4 21.05%
  • Manual

15 78.95%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scion FR-S: Paddle Shift vs Manual

Scion FR-S: Paddle Shift vs Manual

From what I know for the FR-S transmission options, we have the paddle shifter (automatic transmission) and the 6 speed manual.

Since all the cars i've owned had a manual gear box, I can't imagine driving the FR-S with a paddle shifter. I just don't think i will have the same driving experience.

What would you guys choose?

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

driving a manual transmission car in a busy city in stop and go traffic can get annoying after a while + paddle shifting is kinda cool. You should still be able to enjoy the car as much with paddle shift.

Yeah i really need that manual Transmission the paddle shift may be faster but it still lack natural feel to everything.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

I've never had or drivin a manual car and my plan was to make my next purchase be a manual. But i'll definately be test driving both, or atleast trying to test the manual lmao.

Paddle may be faster, but so is a beer bong and I choose not to drink my beer that way. Give me a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzie View Post
    I've never had or drivin a manual car and my plan was to make my next purchase be a manual. But i'll definately be test driving both, or atleast trying to test the manual lmao.
    Just make sure it's not your very own FR-S that you get a first try on, I would hate to see a thread with this title..."My new FR-S has a bad clutch already!" lol

I think once you go for your FR-S first drive with a manual you will be hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by TrailDust View Post
    Paddle may be faster, but so is a beer bong and I choose not to drink my beer that way. Give me a stick.
    Growing up watching Formula 1 racing, I always thought paddle shifters were the coolest thing ever! Some people find fun with automatic transmissions, especially when the car has enough power.

A good example of a really fun automatic.... Buick Grand National!

manual is taking the win so far in the polls

Quote Originally Posted by Enzie View Post
    ill have to do this in December when the FR-S production models come out even tho everyone made valid points, driving a FR-S in both paddle shift and manual will help finalize my decision.

other car makers have vehicle test days, ill have to attend one for the FR-S if there is ever one.

It has to be a manual for me. Too much Tech is a bad thing in my mind. I guess it will be drive by wire as well ?

at least the auto function has paddle shifters. how quick is the auto tranny? I for one would only consider the one with 3 pedals but a quick auto tranny with paddle shifters is always enjoyable. Not everyone knows how to drive manual so the paddle shifters are their only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
    at least the auto function has paddle shifters. how quick is the auto tranny? I for one would only consider the one with 3 pedals but a quick auto tranny with paddle shifters is always enjoyable. Not everyone knows how to drive manual so the paddle shifters are their only choice.
    unsure if it's been confirmed or not but apparently the FR-S automatic transmission is a 6 speed, so it should be pretty quick no doubt. I've driven a few Toyota's and Lexus's with automatics and they tend to lag a big then out of no where you get instant power lol. Since the FR-S is performance focused, I know Toyota is working to have this not happen.

thats what the issue is.. Will the auto tranny be quick enough... I dont believe they have released any info on the tranny specifically?

Banned
    paddle shifters are alright but i would never love to have one,as they usually never shift when you want them to shift, or more specifically downshift it when ever you want to, as the computer will now allow and other don't likes for me.

I would say for the experience a standard clutch type gear box is much more fun on the track then a selector gearbox. But for daily driving in busy metro areas paddle shifters are a relief to the left foot.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
    thats what the issue is.. Will the auto tranny be quick enough... I dont believe they have released any info on the tranny specifically?
    FR-S is still tight lipped on everything No FR-S transmission information is out yet all they stated was paddle shift and 6 speed gear box.

Since 7-speed automatic transmissions are slowly starting to surface and as brands use them, it might be very possible the FR-S automatic transmission might be 7-speed paddle shift.

I personally prefer a quick paddle shift manual over a traditional manual gearbox. I just hope the tranny of the paddle shift is an intelligent one that rev matches for you when you downshift.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)