Scion FR-S: Paddle Shift vs Manual - Page 3

View Poll Results: Paddle Shift vs Manual, what would you choose?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paddle Shift

4 21.05%
  • Manual

15 78.95%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Scion FR-S: Paddle Shift vs Manual

Maybe the auto trannsmission will be similar to the one from the LF-A?

Here is information on the LF-A transmission. Which is manual but paddle shift.

The gearbox itself is a six-speed Automated Sequential Gearbox (electrohydraulic transmission) operated with paddle-shifters developed and constructed in-house by Toyota. The driver can select from four settings: auto, normal, sport, and wet. The manufacturer quotes minimum up-shift times of 200 ms in the sport mode. According to Tanahashi a dual-clutch transmission was tested but the design team felt gear changes were overly smooth, resembling that of a traditional automatic and they preferred more abrupt and mechanically engaging shifts. This shifting experience was also favored despite Lexus vehicles' typical emphasis on smooth operation. The auto mode and low speed performance suffer as a result. A Torsen limited slip differential is also applied on the LFA, and a launch control system is available. An offset gear mounted to the crank (a world first) sends power via a torque tube to the transmission. The carbon-fiber torque tube system was developed because of the rear placement of the transmission and low engine layout
    Wonder if there will be any launch control or traction control systems built in to the FT-86 FR-S

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by levin View Post
    Maybe the auto trannsmission will be similar to the one from the LF-A?

Here is information on the LF-A transmission. Which is manual but paddle shift.

Wonder if there will be any launch control or traction control systems built in to the FT-86 FR-S
    As for a FR-S transmission similar to a LF-A transmission, the cars are a world apart from eachother. I bet Toyota did some serious development on the LFA's transmission to make sure it can handle the abuse you throw at it so it won't explode like a GT-R transmission lol.

I believe technology from the LF-A's transmission will be used in the FR-S.

Since the FR-S is RWD, traction control will be needed, it's a must. Imagine driving a RWD car with no traction control in winter. I have experience doing that and it's BAD.

I wish they released more info about this topic. We have some info on the engine and more info is surfacing but there doesnt seem to be any information on the transmission. Wonder if Toyota is having trouble figuring things out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by import_nation View Post
    I wish they released more info about this topic. We have some info on the engine and more info is surfacing but there doesnt seem to be any information on the transmission. Wonder if Toyota is having trouble figuring things out.
    Apparently the FR-S auto transmission will be off of a current Lexus (rumors)
    But the chances of a whole new transmission might happen with the addition of a new engine for the FR-S

I hope they design a faster automatic transmission. I am sure the manual transmission will be newly designed.

Quote Originally Posted by FT.HachiRoku View Post
    Apparently the FR-S auto transmission will be off of a current Lexus (rumors)
    But the chances of a whole new transmission might happen with the addition of a new engine for the FR-S
    I would expect either a completely new transmission, or an existing Subaru unit seeing as how it will be mating to a Boxer motor. The only exception I can see is if the "New" boxer motor has a block that is designed to bolt to an existing Toyota Transmission.

I highly doubt that the automatic in the FR-S will share many traits with the trans from the LF-A. At $25,000 the FR-S will be lucky to get paddle shiftersto begin with, I would expect it to be a scion tC transmission with paddle shifters. This isn't a super luxury car, this is a raw sports car. This car is going to be targeted at people that will likely get it with a manual transmission. The people that order it with an auto trans (please don't be offended) probably won't be tracking/drifting/racing/autocrossing/ etc... this car. They will be happy just driving a light, fun car on the freeway and not having to worry about burning up a clutch.

The auto trannsmission with tiptronic on the Scion TC sucks pretty badly.

Manual without a doubt...I had my tc for 5 years and drove it throughout Atlanta, even in the worst traffic. I'll never understand how people get frustrated driving in heavy traffic, I never minded it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)