FR-S TRD Upgrades and Dealer installed Accessories

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FR-S TRD Upgrades and Dealer installed Accessories

FR-S TRD Upgrades and Dealer installed Accessories

Hi all I am a new user who has been lurking on this site for months now just reading and researching. I have finally decided to buy a FR-S and have given my local dealer a $500 deposit to secure the next car to arrive that matches my spec.

I asked quite a few questions about TRD parts and dealer installed upgrades and after some poking and prodding my dealer came back to me with a list of potential things they could do. Below is a list of all the possible things my dealer said they could do (at least these are the things I was interested in) and I wanted to share. Prices are considered final-installed.
    • Leather seats - $1495
    • Shark Fin Antenna - $125
    • 5 Axis Body Kit w/spoiler - $2495 (not sure if this includes the lowering kit or not will ask monday)
    • TRD Exhaust - $1235
    • 18' Black Matte Wheels and tires $1695
    • Clear sheild by 3m - $695
    • Window Tint - $299
    • TRD Cold Air intake - $525
    So I know that no matter what I will be upgrading my exhaust and air intake. I am just wondering if the TRD parts are worth the money or even comparable to other after market parts.
    I am also considering getting this exhaust instead: http://www.borla.com/products/frs_br...t__140496.html. It is considerably cheaper and if its just bolt on I could install myself. Borla claims 4-6hp/tourque gains at the wheels.

I have never seen or heard of the TRD Cold Air intake before and cannot find a single piece of information on it anywhere on the internet. I was given a picture of what it looks like and I just cant tell if it would be worth the cost. The url to the picture is: http://www.toyotaasg.com/imagebank/98102.jpg (if you click the link you will see the picture). I have tried to get into that site but it seems to be a Toyota dealer parts site and a region and dealer code is required to access. If anyone has info that could be helpful getting in there that it would be appreciated!!

Any info or opinions you have would be greatly appreciated. I have not taken delivery of my FR-S but once they call I will have to be ready to make some decisions on what (if any) of these dealer installed options I want.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

I can tell you right now none of those parts are worth the money. You can get something better and cheaper yourself.

• Leather seats - $1495 - from where? brz leather seats? or custom seat covers that are leather? they also just buy these from a company. they aren't made by scion or toyota likely.
    • Shark Fin Antenna - $125 - you can buy this and install it yourself under a minute.
    • 5 Axis Body Kit w/spoiler - $2495 (not sure if this includes the lowering kit or not will ask monday)
    • TRD Exhaust - $1235 - madly overpriced. Not worth it. look at the exhaust thread on this website. many other options for cheaper and just as good if not better.
    • 18' Black Matte Wheels and tires $1695 - what kind of matte black wheels? Are you sure these are the ones you want? Are you sure the sizing is what you want as well? 1695 is cheap but I am going to go on an assumption and say the rims are bad quality and the sizing and fitment is not very aggressive.
    • Clear sheild by 3m - $695 - also not a bad price but they outsource it to someone and mark it up. If you can find a reputable company that does the 3m clear bra install you could save money and put that money towards something else
    • Window Tint - $299 - decent price but i'd ask what brand and type of tint. I'd look for a quality ceramic tint.
    • TRD Cold Air intake - $525 - Not a very good cold air intake. Look at Injen or Perrin. They give better gains and are cheaper. The install should be very cheap if you look for a local installer. You can even do it yourself. It's very easy.

I have decided I definitley wont be getting (from the dealer):
    Leather seats - dont care about leather that much especially for the price
    5 axis body kit - first I care about other upgrades besides cosmetic so body kit comes after performance
    TRD Exhaust - I cans save $500 if I install a Borla exhaust myself and it will likely be better. After doing some research it is apparent Toyota made it very easy to work on the exhaust yourself without having to weld.
    Wheels and tires - I have found better wheels and tires at tire rack that weigh less than stock and will be quality.
    Clear shield - waaaay to expensive, would only consider if it was $300
    Window tint - going to let a well known reputable company do it for cheaper

Things I will be getting from the dealer:
    Shark fin antenna - This costs $105 just for the part (I googled it) and then I would install. For only $20 I can let the dealer install, have it covered under warranty, and let them be on the hook for screwing something up. I know its not hard to install but for $20 I'll let the dealer handle it.
    TRD Cold Air Intake - I know its expensive but right now the only way I can get it is through dealer. While some of you may think its no good the design is actually more solid that some of the aftermarket CAI's. After sifting through many posts (here and other places) on CAI's I have read too many people that had to retune because car performed poorly/worse/no different after install of the aftermarket CAI. In fact there is some very good points on the TRD CAI that make a lot of sense.
    • Air box is absolutely huge (bigger than any other CAI on the market) - more surface area to let air in makes for better airflow
    • Air tube is straight and short - bends in air tube and increased length make for more restriction and time to heat up

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Personally I'll never let the stealership do anything I'm capable of doing myself. $500+ for
    ANY CAI is too much. There's probably 2-3 hours of shop labor(which is almost guaranteed to
    be $75/hour or more) rolled into that price. Just purchase the intake from your stealership
    and install it yourself. Like Import said it's very easy. There's probably even a video on youtube
    tutoring you thru it. Definitely do a different exhaust than the TRD. Every sound byte I've heard
    of them they barely sound better than stock and I'm not even sure they give a power increase.
    The tint was a good price. Leather seats suck imo. Definitely a preference choice you'll have to make on your
    own.
    Good luck with your decisions.

From what I remember the only cold air intake that was worse than stock is the AirRaid.

Perrin is an innovator for the FRS and BRZ chassis. I trust them.
    BRZ / FR-S Cold Air Intake Design…. Part 2 » PERRIN Performance Official Blog

They even give you air-fuel charts to show you that it is safe.

import_nation your completely correct about the Perrin. Its just about the only one I would choose outside of the TRD CAI. Im such a clutz I am afraid even with good instructions I would f_ck up my bumper (most likely the paint) trying to get if off and back on.

I saw Injen's and there is no seal between the tube and the air box allowing hot air to just freely creep in, definitely not way I would want.

It doesn't cost much to pay a reputable shop to install a cold air intake. For sure Toyota/Scion will be charging a pretty penny to help you install either the Perrin or TRD.

Personally I'd go with Perrin. The TRD is just way too expensive for what it is. It is just an intake... It barely gives noticable gains.

After getting yours (and quite a few others) opinions and reading the forums I think I will be getting Perrins catback exhaust and CAI. I will install both of them myself and save about $800 bucks vs. getting the TRD stuff put on at the dealership plus Perrin seems to be very highly regarded by the forum users (at ft86 club too) and proven performance gains.

This is my first sports car and also the first car (outside of junkers I had in high school) that I will be modding so I naturally am a little apprehensive about screwing it up. But oh well live and learn. Doing it yourself is half the fun.

I just worked out a deal with a local dealership to discount a whiteout manual FR-S $500!!! Going to sign papers on it. It has BeSpoke which I did not want, they came back with $500 off if I would consider it.

Congrats.

Mistakes will be made. That is part of the learning process. It is important to do research no matter what you do to the car. Get opinions from different sources and compare with your natural feeling, needs, and wants.

With that said I recommend the Perrin products.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)