Manual transmission Shift quality - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Manual transmission Shift quality

I'm creeping up to 1000 km on mine and the MT seems amazing sofar! No issues wht soever with the tranny or anything els, however sadly still getting used to the clutch, feels so light

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by absolut View Post
    Idiot!

lol, you fool. i can't tell you how many sets of clutches and shift forks I have replaced in x-runners, don't go running your mouth if you have no clue of what you are talking about...

Look, absolut, if you want to debate an issue or the work someone's done that's fine, but name calling and ridiculing other members won't be tolerated....the Rules don't allow for it. Thanks.

Now back to the thread....

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

I've experienced about all symptoms mentioned in the thread for a 1-2 shift. Clunking, grinding, to completley blocked. I've followed some of the recommended fixes/improvments I've seen on other forums. Pentosin fluid, perrin shift bushing, whiteline trans bushing and the latest is a new shifter. The various issues are still there but less frequent. Sometimes it will drop into second just a nice as you please other times it won't. I attribute the improvements that have come simply to mileage and a bit of wear. From all the reading I've done I believe there is an issue with some trannies and I think I have one. I suspect in the 2nd gear syncro's.

I test drove an FR-S, a Genesis Coupe R-spec, and an MX-5. I hadn't driven MT in about 15 years, and wasn't that great at it back then. I bucked the Hyundai salesman all over town, but the FR-S and MX-5 tranny's were both smooth as silk.

I haven't had any of the behaviors described here and I'm over 1600 kms. Sorry to hear you're having problems.

I'm closing in on 10k right now and in the first 3k~ish my car real did not like going into reverse while parked even with the engine warm on a coldish day. It's grown out of this habit though. 1-2 has been smooth but definitely mechanical since day one though. There is a little motion and subtle sound of parts working on the 1-2 shift or the 2-1 shift but nothing untoward or unpleasant, just machinery working.

I have had the 2nd and 3rd gears blocked on my car. It has 14k on it right now, and I drive my car like I was racing. The only times I have had the gears blocked was under a hard load and 7500rpms, so I skipped 2 gears due to being at speed already, or close enough, Freeway. My car does not make any noise or extra noise out of the gear box. I do know that the 19"s with the Hankook tires, started making road noise at about 3k. I can also say I do not warm my car up either, I start it, and put my seat belt on and start going. If it is cool, I will wait for the high idle to drop off, but I will wait a few minutes before spinning the engine up. If you are having issues with your gear box, take it to Scion, and get it checked out. These are first year cars, and they are trying to deal with a lot. You know the old saying, never buy the first year of any model. Well, I could not help myself, and I love my choice. My FR-S is still the way I got it from Toyota, with the body kit and 19s, and I bet the hell out of it, and it still works great, other than my exhaust issue. This is just my dumbass opinion, so don't jump me for not warming my car up or beating the **** out of it. Good luck fellow FR-S lovers

I had rough and often grinding shifts from 1st to 2nd. Now I have 15k on the car and its as smooth as butter. I'm sorry to hear others are having issues.

MDT, how many miles under your wheels nowadays? My MT was a notchy for the first 3k miles, just felt like a shirt with too much starch, but 1-2 always came off nice that I can remember. Over 10k now and she's a little sweetheart even on a 2-1 downshift with my quasi-decent heel toe.

My clock reads 6350 now... I have gotten used to the shifting and how to shift around it with enough rpm...

I'm at 2500miles, and every once in a while I have either 2nd or 3rd blocked, or it shifts really rough... I still think it's more of a "me-as-a-driver" issue than something with the car. I will say that I let a seasoned MT driver drive my car, and he also had a rough time with the shift - but was smoother than I'm able to be when I'm not concentrating.

I only have about 300 miles on my fr-s and I still hear the noise my transmission makes when I shift. There has been a couple of times when I couldnt shift into a gear for no reason at all. I enjoy the car but I may need a new transmission. Does anyone recomend anything?

I haven't had any shifting issues either. I've driven VW Super Beetles for years and other Tranny's seems smooth as silk to me. Or any other issues for that matter with this little car. But I only have 250 miles so far

Are you guys talking about a blocked shift when you're shifting down or speeding up? I have 3200miles now and shifting up (1 --> 2 --> 3 etc) is never a problem, however, I notice when downshifting sometimes I have to wait for the syncros to spin up the shaft, then it engages.

I owned two other M/T cars - 1973 Mercury Capri V6 and 1983 Mazda 626, both 5 speeds - and they were similar. The difference is that sometimes on the FR-s I have trouble remembering exactly where 4 and 5 are... passengers freak out when you downshift from 5 into 2nd (at least my wife told me I need to go back to clutch school) or accelerating from 4 into 3rd.

I'm coming off a Charger SRT8, and the lack of power sucks...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)