How tough will it be in the winter?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How tough will it be in the winter?

How tough will it be in the winter?

I've just moved to Pullman, WA and am looking for a new car to buy. The FR-S caught my eye and I am trying to figure out if it would be a good car for this place. I'm sure the summers here won't be a problem but I am worried about the winters. Will the FR-S be able to manage the steep slopes and the snowfall?

Any advice would be much appreciated. The average annual snowfall here is around 29 inches.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

If you get some dedicated snow tires, you'll be fine. I wouldn't want to rely on all season tires with rear wheel drive. I'm in the same predicament, though worse - 93 inches average! I do have my wife's Yaris as a back up if there's a really bad storm though.

That's the thing. I will have only this car with me. I loved driving the car when I took it for a test drive. I just wanted to get some opinions from folks who had more experience with snow, slopes and rear wheel drive.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

It is possible that if the slopes ice up that it will be difficult to get up the hill. 80% of it is the tire though. As long as you have good throttle control and very good winter tires it should be fine. The near 50/50 weight distribution will also help with traction in the rear on the ice.

I would say its fine but it comes with precautions. Just remember your car is a RWD and if you take a turn too fast or give it too much gas the car will spin around if you don't know what you are doing.

With that said. THere are many RWDs driving around in the winter. Ones with much worse weight in the rear. I've seen trucks in the winter (rear weights nothing), BMWs, older american cars. Many of these cars are RWD.

I'd buy a AWD winter beater and put the FR-S in a storage garage.

I've driven everything from old FWD Civic's to heavy RWD coupes that no one would ever consider driving in the winter and it all comes down to TIRES! and of course how you drive, can't drive the same way you do in summer in winter conditions.

With a proper set of winter tires and traction control active you should have no problem getting around during winter. You will however want to test out your FR-S in a parking lot to get used to it before hitting the main road in winter. Just to get a feel for it!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)