Interested in buying an FR-S...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interested in buying an FR-S...

Question Interested in buying an FR-S...

but I have some questions...

I am always super hesitant about buying cars, so I am REALLY asking for some serious, un-biased, informative answers please. Because I have been eyeing this car for a while now, researching it all and whatnot , and it's really making me want one. But some of the things I have been reading have also been making me be cautious and think this car isn't all its cracked up to be.

-Honestly, how underpowered it this car, in terms of cars similar in the class (STI's? GTI's? CivicSI's? Evo's? ect) and is it THAT big of an issue to most people who bought/are looking to buy this car? Right now I have a 2003 Acura RSX. To be quite honest, speed and racing ability is not exactly a concern, I am not looking to go draggin with it against 370z's and ****, I know it's not that kind of car. But I always get a bit confused when people say it's underpowered? How? In terms of what? (is top speed is 145 ish, 200 HP, ~6.8 0-60 slow?)

-How does it REALLY compare to the Subaru version BRZ? I heard the BRZ is even slower. I actually prefer the Scions body and style over the Subaru (damn smiling creepy car...) but the lack of interior luxury's is a bit of a concern. How are you FR-S owners REALLY liking the interior? It the difference between the two, or the things you wish you had in it THAT much to write home about or be upset with the lack-there-of luxurys? (Navi ect)

-I am quite inexperienced with driving a stick shift, but I don't want that to deter me from possibly getting this car in Manual. How do the two compare and what are people thinking about the differences with them? I heard and read a bit about the Auto having a 'sport' mode? That I can switch it to shift mode if I wanted to? Still not sure about the actual details on that. I live in PA, so we do tend to get a lot of snow here, how would a Manual rear wheel actually fare? I am leaning towards Auto atm because or what I heard about it.

-Overall, how are some owners feeling about their cars/purchase? Again, try to be a bit un-biased if you own one or have test driven one. Is it what you expected(what were you expecting) for the price, and it is honestly a good pick up? If it worth trading in my 03' RSX for one?

-Is this a car maybe worth waiting for till a Turbo comes out possibly next year, or a STI version of the BRZ comes, or right now, are people loving it enough to say F-that, it's great as it is?

Thanks for any replies!
    Last edited by Thanntos; 07-06-2012 at 11:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Seems like you've done your research already. I'd recommend you take one for a test . This car has a very nice auto transmission if you go that route
    Lexus IS300Turbo 2JZ-GE
    380whp @ 11psi

I just picked mine up on the 4th....I really love how the car handles...having owned an rx8 that had a blower along with tein s techs and eibach sways, it feels like Im back in it again..although the FR-S is smaller, with less whp, it really handles extremely well...I have the 6AT and love to use the paddle shifters..its very smooth thru every gear...I opted to go auto this time and Im not dissapointed...the car does have some drawbacks...the rear seat is too small for anyone but children...its not an issue for me...the AC seems a little lacking but then again its been 95-100deg here for the last several days and with a full black interior and no window tint yet im not surprised...Im sure after I get the windows tinted, it should be better..I cant really help you with your comparisons of the other vehicles...
    but I do really like the car...
    2008 FJC TTSE
    2013 FR-S Hotlava

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

The tint really helped mine out with the heat! Loving mine as well... took it to a winding road out of town and it was quite a feeling!

I am always super hesitant about buying cars, so I am REALLY asking for some serious, un-biased, informative answers please. Because I have been eyeing this car for a while now, researching it all and whatnot , and it's really making me want one. But some of the things I have been reading have also been making me be cautious and think this car isn't all its cracked up to be.

Whenever it comes to a product you have to figure out yourself what is truth and what is hype. That is something you will have to figure out yourself by seeing one in person and cross shopping it with other cars.

-Honestly, how underpowered it this car, in terms of cars similar in the class (STI's? GTI's? CivicSI's? Evo's? ect) and is it THAT big of an issue to most people who bought/are looking to buy this car? Right now I have a 2003 Acura RSX. To be quite honest, speed and racing ability is not exactly a concern, I am not looking to go draggin with it against 370z's and ****, I know it's not that kind of car. But I always get a bit confused when people say it's underpowered? How? In terms of what? (is top speed is 145 ish, 200 HP, ~6.8 0-60 slow?)

You have a base rsx I'm assuming? If you feel like the rsx is fast enough the FR-S and BRZ are faster. The FR-S and BRZ are about as fast as the Civic Si. It's not going to be as quick in a straight line as the other cars you have listed but in a handling standpoint I would say the FR-S and BRZ outhandle all of those cars. The facts just add up. Lightweight + Low COG + Great Weight Distribution + Decent Suspension = Great handling. And this is confirmed by test driving one. There are two kinds of fast. Fast in a straight line and fast around a track. The FR-S isn't SLOW around a track. It does pretty well on very technical tracks but in a drag strip or large track it's going to fall behind because its 200hp vs the other cars you have listed which are 300hp.

-How does it REALLY compare to the Subaru version BRZ? I heard the BRZ is even slower. I actually prefer the Scions body and style over the Subaru (damn smiling creepy car...) but the lack of interior luxury's is a bit of a concern. How are you FR-S owners REALLY liking the interior? It the difference between the two, or the things you wish you had in it THAT much to write home about or be upset with the lack-there-of luxurys? (Navi ect)

The BRZ is not slower. It tends to understeer where as the FR-S will oversteer. These are differences you likely won't notice on the street. On the street you really won't be able to tell a significant difference between the two. I would not choose one over the other because of performance... It's just silly. Choose the one you like and can afford. They are the same damn car.. I don't know why people keep saying the FR-S is faster or the BRZ is faster. It's a drivers race. Your RSX is 160hp. A Mazda Miata is around the same HP. Around a track I'm sure a seasoned track veteran will whoop your ass around the track. It's a drivers race. Stop worrying about which car is faster and worry more about how you can improve your driving if performance and competition is what is important to you.

-I am quite inexperienced with driving a stick shift, but I don't want that to deter me from possibly getting this car in Manual. How do the two compare and what are people thinking about the differences with them? I heard and read a bit about the Auto having a 'sport' mode? That I can switch it to shift mode if I wanted to? Still not sure about the actual details on that. I live in PA, so we do tend to get a lot of snow here, how would a Manual rear wheel actually fare? I am leaning towards Auto atm because or what I heard about it.
    This is completely up to you. We can't help you with that concern. I can only say that both the automatic and manual transmissions are great platforms. The manual will be more interactive and arguably more fun. The automatic is a very quick and ballsy transmission. The sports mode allows you to shift from gear to gear without a clutch and it does a great job at it. Of course there are certain driving techniques that can only be done with a manual.

-Overall, how are some owners feeling about their cars/purchase? Again, try to be a bit un-biased if you own one or have test driven one. Is it what you expected(what were you expecting) for the price, and it is honestly a good pick up? If it worth trading in my 03' RSX for one?

From someone who has an RSX. I would say it's worth it. I don't even own a FR-S or BRZ yet. The RSX is a great car. One of the last generation of interactive cars that really transfer the road to your inputs. Hydraulic power steering and cable controlled throttle are just old school technologies that offer a unique experience that electrical units just can't imitate perfectly. The RSX is also very lightweight and has a high revving zippy engine. It's not the best Honda chassis ever made but it isn't the worse. I would say out of all the new cars the FR-S and BRZ are going to offer you the best direct driving experience similar to the old Honda/Acuras.

-Is this a car maybe worth waiting for till a Turbo comes out possibly next year, or a STI version of the BRZ comes, or right now, are people loving it enough to say F-that, it's great as it is?

If you want more power than keep waiting. Even if l you wait till Subaru or Scion comes out with a turbocharged model it likely won't be anytime soon. If you wait one or two years they might improve the power to 10hp or maybe more. I don't know if it's worth the wait. That is something you will have to decide yourself. These cars do live up the some of the hype though.. It's been a while since a car like this has come along where they really concentrate on the driving feel and feedback to driver rather than raw power. Not that raw power isn't fun (its very fun) but power and handling are two completely different aspects of driving.

Thanks for any replies!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)