Scion FR-S Headlight/Projectors/Fog Lights (Lighting)

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Scion FR-S Headlight/Projectors/Fog Lights (Lighting)

  1. #1
    Member cfrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    438

    Scion FR-S Headlight/Projectors/Fog Lights (Lighting)

    I'm am quite glad that Scion decided to use projector headlights rather then just your regular halogen deflector. Makes this car a bit more valuable to me. Anyone know anything about Scion or Toyotas projectors? Are they any good? Or are we going to have a ton of DIY lens swaps soon?

    For those who haven't seen it. These are the official photos from Scion website. I'm not sure but in these photos the headlights are blacked out. TO me that looks a TON better. But in other photos you can see that they are chrome. Also like how the fog lights are round. I can also see people retrofitting blazers into them.





    You can also see the projectors in the production test cars

  2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member import_nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,825
    The question is whether it will be a fresenel or soft lens or a clear lens. The Subari BRZ is coming with HIDs so that may come with a clear lens. Though I doubt it since I don't think the WRX STi is a clear lens. The FR-S just comes with halogens I believe.. So probably no clear lens.

    I don't even know if the lens or projector is made by Scion. Since this and the BRZ are so similar. Who made the headlight projector? Subaru or Toyota?




  4. #3
    Senior Member import_nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,825
    So after doing some more reading. The production BRZ will be coming with blacked out projector headlights with HIDs. It also has halo rings. Looks like we're going to be doing BRZ headlight conversions. I have a feeling the BRZ is going to have a semi clear lens where as the FR-S is going to have a fresnel lens... SIGH..




  5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    377
    I hate halo rings not my fav thing here.
    Will the projectors have a projector HID or just a projector lens with a regular bulb ?

    Also how are Toyota projectors to begin with? Though even if people were to make them HID projectors i doubt anyone is going to crack open a brand new set of headlights!

  7. #5
    Junior Member veloist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Daly City, CA
    Posts
    7
    I really like blacked out headlight housings and I'm liking it in the picture. There's also the possibility that it could be an upgrade you can purchase at the dealership, but a lot of the upgrades/accessories for sale in the catalog are pretty expensive.

    I think that the FR-S's DRL's are halogen, but if Scion dealers don't offer those LED DRL's like the 86/GT-86 I'm going to do a conversion on that.

    Other than that, to refer back to the common question "how are Toyota Projectors..." I really like the 2nd gen Prius's touring package HID's. I see it a lot, very bright and white with the smallest tint of blue. It's DOT approved too obviously. Anyways, I have a feeling it will only come with projector lens and a regular bulb.

  8. #6
    Senior Member import_nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,825
    From the HIDplanet world Lexus projectors are not bad. The RX330 projectors are a popular single xenon projector used for retrofitting. They aren't as good as the s2000 or tl projectors though.

    The Scion FR-S won't be blacked out. It will be chrome housing. There will be a projector lens in it. Clear or not we don't know. And no HID kit and no LEDs.

    The BRZ headlight will be blacked out HID build into headlight housing, projector (clear or not) with LED and Halos.

    Like I said I'm most likely going to swap the FR-S headlights for BRZ headlights and sell the FR-S headlights to the first idiot who crashes and needs new headlights.




  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    587
    I like blacked out headlights but the car would have to be black!

    Halo rings on the other hand no way! no thank you! BMW's can keep their halo's BUt as far as Toyota's Porjectors they do work very very well !

    Seen them on the Prius as well, quality projectors !

  10. #8
    Senior Member import_nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,825
    BRZ headlights

    FRS headlight




    Last edited by import_nation; 02-02-2012 at 02:11 PM.

  11. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by veloist View Post
    I really like blacked out headlight housings and I'm liking it in the picture. There's also the possibility that it could be an upgrade you can purchase at the dealership, but a lot of the upgrades/accessories for sale in the catalog are pretty expensive.

    I think that the FR-S's DRL's are halogen, but if Scion dealers don't offer those LED DRL's like the 86/GT-86 I'm going to do a conversion on that.

    Other than that, to refer back to the common question "how are Toyota Projectors..." I really like the 2nd gen Prius's touring package HID's. I see it a lot, very bright and white with the smallest tint of blue. It's DOT approved too obviously. Anyways, I have a feeling it will only come with projector lens and a regular bulb.
    Usually the halogen projectors are decent with an HID kit. but if you want to go the extra mile swapping out the projectors shouldn't be too hard. Cant wait to take these things apart.

  12. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    81
    I can already see all the GT-86 or BRZ headlight conversions.. for all the FR-S's out there selling like hotcakes

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    770
    everyone will do it , JDM headlight conversion or Subaru BRZ headlight conversion and theyre will be a huge premium on them !

  14. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by liljpboi View Post
    I can already see all the GT-86 or BRZ headlight conversions.. for all the FR-S's out there selling like hotcakes
    hell yeah JDM FTW that how it was on the IS forum most of the stuff became rare since they stopped production of the 300 in 05
    04 SFP Lexus IS300 NA-T 400~whp|'11 PW Ford Edge Sport "The Decepticon"| Scion FR-S... on the lookout

  15. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    770
    all JDM parts are rare depends how much a person will justify paying for it!

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,524
    Quote Originally Posted by import_nation View Post
    So after doing some more reading. The production BRZ will be coming with blacked out projector headlights with HIDs. It also has halo rings. Looks like we're going to be doing BRZ headlight conversions. I have a feeling the BRZ is going to have a semi clear lens where as the FR-S is going to have a fresnel lens... SIGH..
    I'll take the easy way out and swap in those BRZ headlights, OEM FTW!

    But I heard BMW E46 projectors are a nice upgrade for a decent price, would anyone here consider retrofitting E46 projectors on the FR-S?




  17. #15
    Senior Member import_nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,825
    Quote Originally Posted by FR_S_Fan View Post
    I'll take the easy way out and swap in those BRZ headlights, OEM FTW!

    But I heard BMW E46 projectors are a nice upgrade for a decent price, would anyone here consider retrofitting E46 projectors on the FR-S?
    I don't know of many guys retrofitting the e46 projectors. The most popular retrofit is probably a tsx projector and lens retrofit.

    I think the best projector you can buy would be the lexus sc430 projector and lens, tl projector with zkw lens, s2000 with tsx-r lens.

    Depending on what size the FR-S or BRZ projector lenses are, we can easily swap clear lenses on them. That is if the oem ones aren't already clear. I'm also interested in what HID bulb and ballast will come OEM with the BRZ and JDM and Euro FR-S/86.

    Keep in mind the problem with swapping a JDM 86 headlight is that the oem shield will be designed for left side driving. So if you use that headlight in a right side driving country you will blind the crap out of everyone oncoming. The best thing to do is to buy a euro GT86 headlight. HID and designed with the right shield. Or you can just buy the BRZ headlights, probably what I would do if I got the FR-S over the BRZ.




+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 05:38 PM
  2. LED lights on front bar
    By Tureno in forum FR-S Appearance / Body Modifications
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 08:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0