What does Sport mode on a manual tranny actually do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What does Sport mode on a manual tranny actually do.

What does Sport mode on a manual tranny actually do.

Hey kinda new to the thread and I had a kinda noob question. I realize with the auto tranny it just changes the shift points so it holds the gear longer but what does it do for the manual tranny. More responsive throttle? Turns off port injection and makes it strictly DI? Am I looking too much not it? I understand the whole traction button, I just don't get what the sport button does for the FR-S. I have done some searching on this forum and all I can find is what happens to the dash display when the button is depressed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

You will also notice a deeper exhaust sound when in sport mode as well

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Btw I meant to say am I looking too much into it? Not am I looking too much not it. That shows how observant I am I never noticed a deeper exhaust noise. Looks like I'll be driving in sport mode all day tommoro . See if I notice a difference!

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

You won't notice exhaust differences, doesn't make sense.... It's ECM shift logic , that's all. Faster, snappier shifting

Sounds right drove it a lil today no change in exhaust noise.

FR-Schrec,
    since it rained last night we should go find some places to take some corners. Two whiteout fr-s taking corners? Completely epic, we might end up being celebrities here in Jville haha

LoBenz, don't tempt me.I already have taken some of these roads up here in Hubert , and thoroughly enjoyed them. Two white Fr-s's drifting around corners in Jville all those rice burners in the Roses parking lot in Western would have nothing on us haha.

You should have seen their faces when we rolled through there yesterday. One guy looked like he was about to cry, especially because I was driving. Haha.

Hahaha that's awesome!! One guys from that club asked me if it was rear wheel drive! I was like ummm YEA!! Haha. I wonder how long this drooling over our cars will last :P. I still drool over mine every morning when I go to work and I've had it for 3 months now. when I get there the marines form a circle around that's happened 4 times now.... Gotta admit its kinda awkward.

When we were driving to Lejeune on Friday we were on 24 at a light and this guy next to us in some SUV took a picture of our car at the stoplight.. I was like "oh man, we're that car now." It's just so awkward but at the same time we have the car that everyone wants. I have to admit, it's kind of fun being the envy of Lejeune.
    Everyone in my offroading club calls me a traitor, but it's hilarious.. They're all just jealous.

As far as it goes for an automatic trans and stiffer shifts I wouldn't know because the idea of driving an automatic sports car doesn't appeal to me. But I didn't post to dump on people for buying an automatic trans whatever their reasoning.

Sport mode is a just another form of traction control for this car. VSC means vehicle stability control, and putting your FR-S/BR-Z into sport mode means VSC is your only assist (in theory; to remove all assists you have to pull the fuse completely). I checked into this when I first got my FR-S because I noticed little difference in my MT FR-S while driving in sport mode. Found the video that explained it to me and I would recommend people watch it to clear up this topic.

Check out "BRZ drift secrets, stability control, VSC and TRC settings" on youtube. The explaination of sport mode is around 4:10 in the video. And please stop talking out of your asses people.

Hope this helps out, drive safe out there

My understanding only from reading and experience...

There are 3 modes available with the system. 4 actually.
    1) Normal as when you start the car. All traction and stability control functions working.
    2) VSC - Somewhat limits traction control and stability control but controls will still step in when car is pushed. In between settings 1 and 3 in this list.
    3) All off - pressing and holding both vsc and traction control buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. This disables all traction and stability control.
    4) pressing traction control will disable traction control below 18mph I think I read. For the occasional times you may find yourself stuck in mud or something and need it off to get out.

^ I think you have it right. That is what I have thought myself.

Sports mode on the Auto tranny:

Mainly makes the tranny hold it's gears longer / rev higher before shifting and down shift earlier meaning you're in a meatier gear more of the time. You'll find that the gearbox generally won't even shift into 6th unless you're doing well over the speed limit. It will cruise in 5th.

Makes the shifts noticeably faster between gears, but less smooth. It's a trade off.

Sharpens the throttle response a little via the fly-by-wire control / ECU.

I don't believe the exhaust note changes as the FRS/86 doesnt have butterflys in the exhaust. Nor does it sharpen the steering response as it does in some cars. Nor does it affect the traction control (thats what the Traction Control buttons do). Nor does it increase breaking pressures in the FR-S/86. It just mainly holds it's gears longer and shifts at a higher rev range.

Sports mode in the auto is a noticable change. More power available as it holds higher rpms for longer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)