First Autocross in my FR-S

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Autocross in my FR-S

First Autocross in my FR-S

Ran my first AX at Texas Motor Speedway today in my new FR-S. (Not on the big track but at a sight on the South end that we call the bus lot) It's a good sized site that permits 60 to 90 second courses. The surface is sealed asphalt that can be slippery if you're not used to it.

I've had the FR-S for a week and have 768 miles on it. The owner's manual says that breakin should be 1000 miles. (Yeah right)

I replaced the stock wheels and tires right away with 245/40/17 Hankook RS-3's on 9 inch Enkei PF03's. Everything else was stock.

The car surprised me and is really a pretty good AX vehicle. The biggest surprise was the way it did a 6 cone slalom. The turn in was really good and I was able to get thru it rapidly with no drama and very little push.

On sweepers the car would develop a bit of push but it could be cured with your right foot and it would rotate nicely and go where you wanted it to.

The only real problem I had was the stoopid electric nannies for stability control and traction control. I turned both off but the traction control turned itself back on when it felt like it. I learned that pushing both buttons and holding them for 3-4 seconds keeps them off. The owner's manual doesn't tell you that.

I finished mid pack in a 20 car class which is just okay for my first time out. The event was put on by the local BMW club and you get 10 runs plus fun runs at the end.

Next on my do list are some coilovers, camber plates and alignment before I look at HP increases. There are two more events next weekend at the same site. Saturday is with a local club called NTAXS and the other is Sunday with with the SCCA. I will be running the STX class with SCCA.

I'd really like to hear from other FR-S owners and what they do on weekends for fun, racing these great little cars.

Jim H.
    DFW Texas

ps all the trunk junk weighs 29 1/2 lbs---free horsepower with it removed!

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

I run mine in AX as Stock class Road tire Rear drive PAX time. Don't get the white line camber bolts, tried them before the factory ones because the claimed more camber but they might as well be made from peanut butter after the race the alignment was out and the bolts had marks from the strut. The factory one state they can handle +/- .75 degree's. I run the SCCA events and run it in C-Stock, which allowed be to put one sway bar, cat back exhaust, drop in filter and also allows you to run any dampener but must be stock springs. I plan to max out stock class with r-comps even with crappy factory street tires I'm running somewhat competitive numbers, nothing some r-comps cant fix. Good to know the trunk junk weight, i was curious but never got around to weighing it. I did however remove the muffler and run a track pipe and save about 25 lbs too! Even got my girlfriend into racing in the ladies class, she loves it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Autocross in my FR-S-cuzracecar.jpg  

Good to hear from a fellow SCCA autocrosser. Road Tire Pax class in CS is a good idea until you go to R-comps. What tires are you on? Hankook RS-3's or Dunlop Direzza's really work well.

Interesting about the Whiteline camber bolts. I'm waiting for a set of AST coilovers and camber plates. I'm setting the car up for STX. Vorshlag says the plates will give me up to 3 degrees negative. That'll cure the push that I experienced yesterday.

I think we're going to see more and more of the FR-S's at SCCA events.

Jim H.
    DFW Texas

5. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

3 degrees will be good on comps and should cure that push. stock ****talins for now with -2.0 camber. waiting to get new rims than thinking some tires, don't know which ones yet tho.

PM sent with questions.

Jim H.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)