Toyota Reports 2013 Scion FR-S Quality Problems To Dealers
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toyota Reports 2013 Scion FR-S Quality Problems To Dealers

Toyota Reports 2013 Scion FR-S Quality Problems To Dealers

Toyota has informed their dealers that the new Scion FR-S sports coupe has a couple of quality issues:
    1. Some new FR-S coupes have exhibited moisture build-up in the rear tail light housings, indicating the units aren’t being sealed properly by the supplier and/or being damaged during assembly.
    2. Some new FR-S coupes have body panels that are not fitting flush at the gaps – Toyota reports that some panels are sitting as a quarter of inch over or under flush.
    Toyota has issued these quality issue announcements as innocuous sounding “tech tips,” intended to help dealers get ahead of these issues before consumers have a chance to sound the alarm bells.

Tech tip S-TT-0043-12 states that some vehicles may have body panels that aren’t flush (either under- or over-flush) which are causing customers to complain. This tech tip doesn’t offer a fix, and merely states that Toyota is “looking into” the issue.
    Tech tip S-TT-0042-12 states that there could be moisture built up in the rear combination lamps. Toyota is asking dealers to report any cars they have with this condition, including when the issue was discovered, how bad the problem is/was, and how the issue was addressed. Toyota is also asking dealers if the replacement lamp assembly had the same issue (suggesting a supplier QC problem).

While the moisture issue can be dismissed as relatively minor, body panel fitment issues are disconcerting. This problem should never happen in the manufacturing process.

What’s the Long Term Impact?

While these quality issue reports are unlikely to dampen enthusiasm for the Scion FR-S, they do speak to the difficulties of vehicle partnerships. It’s easy to envision these issues are a result of miscommunications between two different design/development teams. Tundra owners looking forward to the Tundra Hybrid (which will be a collaboration between Ford and Toyota) might be wise to wait and buy their hybrid Tundra until after the first model year is produced.

What do you think? Are these issues part of a larger quality control problem? Or just minor issues that affect all car manufactures?

Scion FR-S Quality Issues - Tech Tips | Tundra Headquarters

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Dude it's the first run of production vehicles. They won't be perfect for a while. Thanks for the heads up, mine is fine.

I heard about the rear taillights. Didn't hear about the panels being poorly fitted. Quarter of an inch is very noticeable.

I noticed moisture in my rear taillight a bit. Also another small problem I am dealnig with is thread already coming out of my shifter knob. Need to talk to my dealer about it this week.

Quote Originally Posted by tmtownsend View Post
    I noticed moisture in my rear taillight a bit. Also another small problem I am dealnig with is thread already coming out of my shifter knob. Need to talk to my dealer about it this week.
    first time im hearing of threads showing up. mind taking pic's of those two so we can see how bad they really are compared to others?

At 1050 miles, the only problem is a slight, annoying rattle in the dash.

Already??

I have noticed a bit of moisture in my taillight - when the car was sitting in the sun it was slightly fogged up in the lens.

My shifter knob seems to be constantly loose - maybe i'm racking it too hard

Quote Originally Posted by EsoBOFH View Post
    I have noticed a bit of moisture in my taillight - when the car was sitting in the sun it was slightly fogged up in the lens.

My shifter knob seems to be constantly loose - maybe i'm racking it too hard
    A typical fix for that would be drilling a hole through the housing but with brand new headlights, that won't be an option for a lot of people. I've seen some pic's of the moisture and it's not that bad, still not something to expect on a brand new car.

to be honest i would just bring it back tot he dealer and complain about selling a product with poor fitting issues, or just not accept that model when you receive it and wait for another one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.