Build it Your Way: 2013 Scion FR-S – Turbo, Supercharger, 3.6L H-6, 5.0L V-8?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Build it Your Way: 2013 Scion FR-S – Turbo, Supercharger, 3.6L H-6, 5.0L V-8?

Build it Your Way: 2013 Scion FR-S – Turbo, Supercharger, 3.6L H-6, 5.0L V-8?

The Scion FR-S will be hitting showrooms shortly and Toyota has limited production to one trim level (although a long list of dealer-installed accessories will be available) in North America. The FR-S’s 200-hp 2.0-liter boxer four-cylinder is mated to a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. Some rear-drive sports cars offer more than one engine choice, which got us talking about FR-S possibilities.

What if the Scion FR-S was available with a factory upgrade in the engine compartment? Though it’s likely a matter of time before the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ offer a turbocharged model, we put came up with a list of Toyota- and Subaru-sourced engines that could serve under the hood of an FR-S:

- Forced-induction for our FR-S, please. It could use a turbocharger or supercharger to boost the fun quotient of the small rear-drive coupe. A supercharger would work as a dealer-installed TRD option, but we are looking forward to a turbo because of Subaru’s extensive history of turbocharged boxer engines. And what better way to reach 300 hp than a dual-scroll snail? Ken Gushi uses a turbocharged boxer from the Subaru WRX STI in his Scion FR-S drift car.

- Some couldn’t pass up the sound a flat-six engine with a throaty exhaust. So, how about a 3.6-liter flat-six engine cribbed from the Legacy sedan or Tribeca SUV? The 3.6-liter engine makes 256 hp and 247 lb-ft of torque—up 56 hp and a whopping 96 lb-ft of torque over the naturally aspirated 2.0-liter.

- The no-replacement-for-displacement crowd would love to see the Lexus IS-F’s 416-hp 5.0-liter V-8 under the hood of their Scion. The V-8, which cranks out 371 lb-ft of torque, wouldn’t be the first IS-F engine stuffed in one of the Toyobaru twins.

- Rumors suggest that Toyota will introduce an entry-level tuner-friendly GT 86 (as the Scion FR-S is known outside North America). A Scion FR-S stripped of its rear seats, air conditioning, and audio system could make a satisfying track or autocross car.

What do you think — would you welcome any of these 2013 Scion FR-S variants? Or is the 2013 FR-S and 2013 BRZ perfect as it is? Give us your thoughts in the comments section below.

Read more: Build it Your Way: 2013 Scion FR-S - Turbo, Supercharger, 3.6L H-6, 5.0L V-8? - WOT on Motor Trend

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

rumors rumors rumors.

Why would you put a IS-F motor in it? IT would probably cost as much as the IS-F. So why not buy that. Why put a flat-6 in? It would just raise the price. Even if you slap a turbocharger in, it would just raise the cost. Instead of concentrating on power alone. I think for future models of the FR-S and BRZ they should improve the quality of the cars and slowly add more power and increase handling potential.

Quote Originally Posted by import_nation View Post
    rumors rumors rumors.

Why would you put a IS-F motor in it? IT would probably cost as much as the IS-F. So why not buy that. Why put a flat-6 in? It would just raise the price. Even if you slap a turbocharger in, it would just raise the cost. Instead of concentrating on power alone. I think for future models of the FR-S and BRZ they should improve the quality of the cars and slowly add more power and increase handling potential.
    I posted the article because of how interesting it is and they failed on some parts haha. Rather than throwing in all these big engine in working on the FA20 and making it produce a good amount of power will do it well. Bigger engine = more weight, as time goes on the best thing for Scion to do with the FR-S is shed weight, increase power while keeping it N/A. Also like you said the idea's mentioned will jack up prices and we don't want that.

More power usually spells the end of this type of car. It gets the price creeping up and then suddenly you look and you have a $35k car that is no longer affordable and really no longer makes sense to most people since there are usually better choices for the money at that level. I agree, gotta keep it cheap, this is a small limited use, limited market vehicle. Don't kill the market with high prices. Offering factory add ons with factory tunes would be great though for those that want some more juice.

I think a factory TRD supercharger would sell VERY well.

hai
    It's a boxer engine. Subaru is famous for it's turbo charged. Have 3 engine options for consumers, 2.0, 2.5 from the WRX, and the mighty STI. Let me, the consumer, decide which fun level I want to be. STI is a no brainer for me and I don't mind spending $30-$32k for this monster drifter. I ordered my FR-S 2 months ago and first thing I want to do when it comes in 2weeks is to increase the hp. I test drove one today and it's pretty slow. My 88 Mr2 surcharged drives faster than that.

I would prefer Toyota refine the car better and still stay less than 30K. Anything more than 30K I would not be interested. And if I am spending more than 30K, I think I would look into other cars more exotic.
    And I would rebadge the car to a Toyota (and not Lexus either) -- especially if they are selling as a Toyota in the rest of the world except US.

PTuning is working on a turbo kit for the FR-S. Excited to see what they are going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by import_nation View Post
    PTuning is working on a turbo kit for the FR-S. Excited to see what they are going to do.
    Wow, I haven't heard PTuning mentioned since I had my ZX2 back in 2000-01. They got quite a bit of my money back then.
    97 Eagle Talon AWD turd.
    Patrolling the Twin Cities freeways for over a decade.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.