Convertible Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 Confirmed???!!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Convertible Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 Confirmed???!!

Convertible Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 Confirmed???!!

This german article Toyota GT 86 kommt als Cabrio - autobild.de

States that Tetsuya Tada has plans to bring a convertible Toyota 86 to the market. In the interview Tada explains that the 86 was designed with a convertible in mind. No release dates or pricing of course.

Google translate:
    The summer 2012 is coming too soon. But for the future can look forward fans of open-athletes in Japan the Toyota GT convertible 86. The start time is open, the price probably passable.
    Toyota plans to bring the sports car GT 86, a roadster version on the market, such as lead developer Tetsuya Tada has confirmed in an interview. "The GT 86 was designed from the outset that we can build it as a convertible." A decision on when the Toyota comes on the open market has fallen as yet. The technology takes over from the coupe, the Roadster: A two-liter boxer engine with 197 hp, Toyota-Subaru daughter drives the rear axle. The prices should start at around 35,000 .

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

well well well....looks like its stepping into the s2000 the class..

Miata MX-5 and S2000 ...WATCH OUT! That rendering of a Scion FR-S convertible looks so good, i would buy it in a heart beat.

a drop top FR-S with a widebody kit could look as sick or better than this S2000

Not a fan of convertibles. If I ever got an S2000 I would throw a roll bar and hardtop on.

Quote Originally Posted by import_nation View Post
    Not a fan of convertibles. If I ever got an S2000 I would throw a roll bar and hardtop on.
    Spoon S2000 hardtop!!!

First off, not sure why people are telling the S2000 to "look out", considering the car is not produced anymore. Honda has obviously sold all S2000's that have been produced, so why would they care now whether people want a brand new FR-S convertible over a used S2000?

Second off, if I were in the market for either car (which I am not) this news would make me lean towards buying the BRZ. I don't particular like it when a nice sports car is offered as both a coupe and convertible, and would prefer the one that is only offered in a coupe. Less styles means more unique.

honda wouldnt car, but people who buy it on the second hand market, either get a honda S2000 which was a 60k car when it came out or a brand new drop top fr-s, plus both car will have a ton of performance options, question is which will work better.

The S2000 is still faster.

Did I say that out loud?

keep in mind the s2000is 2700 lbs in the convertible mode now imagine the fr-s which already weights 2700 lbs in convertible mode.. would mean.. 2900 lbs car?

It depends. Convertible doesn't always have to mean heavier. It does usually. The OEM hardtop on the FR-S isnt that light either. If they use a lightweight ragtop it shouldn't weigh too much. Personally I don't like the additional road noise that comes with convertible soft tops. And hard top convertibles are too heavy.

They also need to re-enforce the frame as well for crash test rating and other things as well , one cannot simply! chop off a roof and sell it as mass produced convertible!

Which adds to the weight. Defeats the purpose of this being a lightweight RWD. I can see a convertible being 2800 2900 lbs.

i can see it being more than that.. it already weights 2700, the s2000 soft top weights 50-70 lbs

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.