Greddy Turbo Kit CONFIRMED for the Scion FR-S
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greddy Turbo Kit CONFIRMED for the Scion FR-S

Greddy Turbo Kit CONFIRMED for the Scion FR-S

According to Greddy Representatives it is confirmed that Greddy is looking to sell a Turbo Kit for the Scion FR-S in the near future. They are most likely doing research and development on it and that is probably what we have been seeing in the SPOTTED TURBO FR-S thread.

A user on scionlife was speaking to a Greddy representative through the internet asking about turbo kits and this is the response and conversation:

Dear GreddyStaff: i just want to start off saying i love you. secondly i would like to know what steps have been taken to bring your afore mentioned turbo kit to reality. has R&D begun? or is this just something that greddy plans on doing? are there restrictions holding you guys back like say scion corprate until the car is released? i look forward to your reply.
    Originally Posted by GReddy_Staff
    Syldrin, thanks for the support!

We do plan on developing a turbo kit in the near future. To answer your question "has R&D begun?", maybe . Before we prototype or develop anything, thorough research needs to be conducted. Upon analyzing the data and market, the project will advance into the next step. It's a step by step process that can't be rushed to ensure quality is applied. This principle applies to our entire product line and not just turbo kits

Stay tuned...

We all know that Greddy made a local appearance at a car meet with their black modified Scion FR-S that had aftermarket rims and a titanium tip exhaust.

There is a video in the link above showing off the car and there is also a EXHAUST NOTE clip of the car revving.

The specs on the Greddy Modified FR-S are as follows according to Greddy:
    • GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust
    • GReddy Type-S Coilovers
    • GReddy Big Brake 4 piston front, 2 piston rear
    • Volk Racing G12 wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12 evo
    • Custom Upholstery

Greddy only had 3 days to work on the FR-S so it is a pretty decent car considering that.

Greddy has been known for a long time to make decent bolt on turbo kits. I am personally excited and anticipating what Greddy is going to do with the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT and how much power a turbo kit will make. The video clip of a the SPIED TURBO FR-S being tested is in here.

Greddy does have a history of making turbo kits already for Scion. Most of their kits aim for a conservative 250-300hp. I would like to know how much PSI is required to make that extra power considering the compression rate of the Scion FR-S being high.

Here is some information on the Greddy Scion TC Turbo @ 340-hp and 325 ft-lbs of torque

Scion has just released a selection of official pictures of its 2010 SEMA Show cars and while there’s the usual selection of over-the-top creations, were also pleased to see a few cars we’d actually like to drive.
    Topping the list is the GReddy modified 2011 Scion tC, sporting a turbocharger that the company even refers to as a “prototype,” hinting that it will come to market in the near future. That means owners will be able to strap on 340-hp and 325 ft-lbs of torque with one “simple” modification. Of course, there’s a lot more done under the hood than just that. Other mods include coilovers, a Five-Axis aero kit, TRD brakes, Volk Racing G2 wheels and even a nice set of Sparco seats.
    Up next has to be the tC Tuner Challenger car by John Pangilinan, which also comes with a turbo under the hood. The biggest feature of this car, however, has to be the Jon Sibal custom carbon fiber widebody kit and the tC even gets a Seibon carbon fiber trunk and hood. Of course, there’s the obligatory Rays wheels, measuring 10.5-inches wide, with a Brembo big brake upgrade.
    Crawford Performance also built a custom tC designed for Time Attack racing. There’s no mention of exactly what engine modifications have been made, but we’re certain Crawford won’t disappoint. Along with a racing livery, it gets custom 18-inch Advan wheels, Tein Coilovers and a TRD big brake kit.
    Other highlights include a stretch xB by Cartel, a rally-themed xD by 0-60 Magazine and Sparco and a very original xB by The Salty Dogs.
    Each year Scion hosts a Tuner Challenger at SEMA, where shops compete for recognition and prize money by building an ultra-wild SEMA show car. This year’s competition involves the 2011 tC and includes entries by James Lin, John Pangilinan and Shawn Baker. The winner will be picked at SEMA and we’ll be sure to report back on who that is.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...w-2011-tc.html
    Last edited by import_nation; 01-04-2012 at 11:27 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FR-SForum.com
    Advertisements

Greddy has been known for a long time to make decent bolt on turbo kits. I am personally excited and anticipating what Greddy is going to do with the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT and how much power a turbo kit will make. The video clip of a the SPIED TURBO FR-S being tested is in here.

Greddy does have a history of making turbo kits already for Scion. Most of their kits aim for a conservative 250-300hp. I would like to know how much PSI is required to make that extra power considering the compression rate of the Scion FR-S being high.

I assume the pistons will need to be changed out to allow for more boost. Like others have said...I'm sure a turbo system could be made with the high compression already, but if someone wants more power...it'll mean internal work.

My guess would be 250whp without internal work.

Quote Originally Posted by import_nation View Post
    My guess would be 250whp without internal work.
    If that is it, not worth it unless it costs less than $2k. I hope they made it with good guys, but at this price range I seriously doubt it. Here's to hoping!!

This is what im hoping for a power number to 250+ sub 300 HP level but the kit wont be cheap but at-least there is a turbo kit giving the car the extra power needed that everyone has been complaing about!

Quote Originally Posted by rwdftw View Post
    This is what im hoping for a power number to 250+ sub 300 HP level but the kit wont be cheap but at-least there is a turbo kit giving the car the extra power needed that everyone has been complaing about!

Is any turbo kit cheap??I've always seen kits from 3k - upper 4k's. Plus add in the time in the shop to install it...so another couple of grand...

I am guessing 3000-4000 dollars looking at what Greddy charges for their other turbo kits. And that doesn't include a front mount intercooler. That is almost another $1000. The Scion FR-S is 200hp power to the motor? I'm pretty sure by the time it hits the ground 160-170whp? If the Greddy kit boosts it to 250whp that is almost a 100whp increase. For the higher compression stock internals and stock fuel system I don't expect much. If you upgrade the injectors maybe add a block guard you could run higher boost. Then you would probably get closer to 300whp. Don't know how safe that is though with internals still stock. We have to wait and see. If the FR-S motor is built to take good amounts of boost then we may be able to get 300whp without internal work. Lowering the compression will definitely allow you to run more boost. But that is $$$

I agree with all this. I think the whp number for the stocker may be a little less than those numbers though.

250 HP not 250 WHP to get 250WHP the car would need to be at around 270+ atleast, let alone to produce the car to 300WHP im fine with 300HP.

But i see this car making roughly 60-80HP increase at the crank, since this will prob be based off stock internals a greddy tune, which wont be over the top, the motor should be running larger mid size turbo with atleast 1 bar of boost, which should be a good enough power going for most of us!

Check out that 600hp FR-S that was just previewed at Detroit!
    Scion Racing Debuts 600HP FR-S Race Car

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.